Monday, February 4, 2019

The Words of 2018 LIT, Ryan Anastasio

A Success Story for a First Time Camper

Ryan on his LIT overnight hike.
Going to sleepaway camp is one of the best things that I have done. William Lawrence Camp has become a second home and another family to me. I have met countless people in my 6 years here and have developed strong friendships with people all the way from Massachusetts to Spain.

My journey at William Lawrence Camp began in the Summer of 2012. While I did not attend camp that year, I helped drop off my older brother Matt. My first impression of camp was not what it is today. I thought it was nice and was amazed at the height of the climbing tower and the size of the knoll. However, I said that this place was not for me. Leaving home for a long time was a non starter for me and sleeping in a room without electricity and a bathroom was not appealing. When my brother returned from camp four weeks later he talked about all the fun he had. While I knew that he had a great time I still said that camp was not for me.

As 2013 approached my older brother signed up for camp again as well as my younger brother Sam. I had no plans for the summer but I knew one thing, I was not coming to camp. My first year at camp was not planned. I once again went up to camp to help drop of my brothers. When I arrived at camp I was stunned to hear that I would be coming to camp as well. I begged and I pleaded but I was unsuccessful in my efforts and I found out that I would be spending the next two weeks here.

The first few days of camp are not always the easiest your first year. You have to grapple with the idea of no electricity and independent living. After about a few days, I was settled in. While I did not plan on coming my first year at camp, my parents gave me a gift in coming here. At camp I have learned skills such as how to shoot a rifle, how to shoot a bow and how to sail a boat. While these are great tangible skills, camp gives you many intangible things. At camp I have learned to be more independent. I have learned better social skills and have met hundreds of people from across the world. You are required to clean your area in your cabin and you are allowed to make your own choices at camp.

Every year I come back to camp because of the friendships I have created here and because of the hundreds of skills I have learned. If you are looking for an exciting place full of energy and a place for a welcoming community William Lawrence is the place to be.