Friday, May 29, 2015

#DOSOMETHING

                It’s been over a decade since I was a camper on the knoll. It’s been six years since I worked on staff for WLC. Coming back in January of this year brought a new vision of camp for me.  I think few people get to see the tireless efforts that happen year-round for places like William Lawrence. For most, camp is this beautiful, greenery-filled fixture that forever stays in the season of summer. Over this past winter in New England, I was privileged enough to see seven feet of snow pack continually layer the campus in Ctr. Tuftonboro. It was exactly how I always imagined the age-old phrase of “winter-wonderland.” Having family from New England, I can truly say winter is easily my second favorite season;  second only to the New England summers.
                My time at William Lawrence (both as a camper and on staff) has been nothing short of exceptional. There is something special about the air and living communally that has impacted my life greatly. At camp, people come together differently than I have ever experienced. The songs and chants perpetually play out in my mind. Whether it was going to an inter-camp competition, an all-camp Evening Program, or simply a Free-Swim down at the Waterfront, the bonds I created at camp endlessly flourish. I have friends that live in all corners of the world because of my summers at William Lawrence.  It may sound odd, but camp is where I learned to successfully fail. Failing is something I believe that every person needs to discover.
                Kids are able to try new activities and sports while at WLC. Our motto of “Do Something” is what every boy is able to do. This is where failure becomes helpful. Camp has a hidden safety net for boys to engage in new things without true fear of being a failure. In my opinion, failure is when we stop trying, when we lose our will to work for the things we want and need. I distinctly remember counselors literally picking me up from the ground and saying, “That’s alright, have another go.” Giving kids (and ourselves) opportunities to fail presents the chance to build an identity and persevere in the face of adversity. They learn to thrive in the journey of working towards personal or common goals. This is what I love about William Lawrence. To quote a popular animated kid’s show, Adventure Time, “Dude, sucking at something is the first step at being sorta good at something.”
-Jamie McDonough